COVID-19 Pandemic – Video Updates 39-42
With global confirmed cases rising and a flattened curve in China, Dr. Seheult and the MedCram team continue to produce informative, easy-to-digest videos on the latest COVID-19 pandemic research and updates. To watch our latest updates in the Coronavirus Explained Clearly series, visit our website or YouTube channel.
Rapid COVID-19 Spread With Mild or No Symptoms, More on Treatment
In our 39th video update on the COVID-19 pandemic, Dr. Seheult discusses an article in Science, which uses a Bayesian model to predict how many people went undiagnosed in China both before and after the Chinese travel ban on January 23. These undocumented cases represent the COVID-19 carriers, who – based on this model – may have been the unwitting source of 79% of the total cases in China. This model provides support for current social distancing and isolation measures in place in the United States and elsewhere across the world.
In addition, Dr. Seheult looks at recent reports on COVID-19 drug trials in France, highlighting new, albeit limited, data on hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin.
Ibuprofen and COVID-19 (Are NSAIDs Safe?), Trials of HIV Medications
In our 40th pandemic update, Dr. Seheult gives updates on numbers and death rates in the U.S., as well as new research on HIV medication trials in treating COVID-19. He also addresses the question of NSAIDs, looking at their history, purposes, inhibition of viral replication, and impact on the COX-2 enzyme as it pertains to COVID-19. In his review of NSAIDs, Dr. Seheult steps back in time to look at evidence from studies on aspirin use during the deadly influenza epidemic of 1918.
Shelter In Place, FDA Investigates Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19
In our 41st COVID-19 video update, Dr. Seheult introduces the newly released Handbook of COVID-19 Prevention and Treatment, as well as news from President Trump and the FDA on hydroxychloroquine. In addition, he talks about the Japanese flu medicine, Favipiravir, although we are still awaiting more extensive trials and peer-reviewed studies on this particular potential COVID-19 treatment.
Immunity to COVID-19 and is Reinfection Possible?
In the 42nd MedCram update on COVID-19, Dr. Seheult talks about immunity. He begins by illustrating the mechanisms of RNA and antibody testing for COVID-19 (and their benefits and shortcomings), how immunity works, and the possibility of reinfection. RNA testing – using reverse transcriptase PCR (rtPCR) – assess if viral particles are present (suggesting active infection), whereas antibody testing determines whether or not a patient has immunity to the virus.
Dr. Seheult also walks through this study on rhesus monkeys, which is not yet peer-reviewed, but offers encouraging support for primary infections of SARS-CoV-2 offering protection against subsequent exposures and reinfections.
Stay Tuned for More on COVID-19!
We’ve also added a ventilator refresher lecture, specific to COVID-19, so please check that out as well. As this pandemic evolves, we’ll continue updating MedCram.com and our YouTube channel with more video updates.
Here are the resources we’ve created and shared so far:
- Coronavirus Outbreak, Transmission, and Pathophysiology
- Coronavirus Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Coronavirus Update 3: Spread, Quarantine, Projections, and Vaccine
- How Coronavirus Kills: Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) & Treatment
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 5: Mortality Rate vs SARS / Influenza
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 6: Asymptomatic Transmission & Incubation Period
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 7: Global Health Emergency Declared, Viral Shedding
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 8: Travel Ban, Spread Outside of China, Quarantine, & MRSA
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 9: Fecal-Oral Transmission, Recovery vs Death Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 10: New Studies, Transmission, Spread from Wuhan, Prevention (nocv 2019)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 11: Antiviral Drugs, Treatment Trials for nCoV (Remdesivir, Chloroquine)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 12: Unsupported Theories, Pneumonia, ACE2 & nCoV
- Garage Talk Podcast — Dr. Roger Seheult and the Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 13: Li Wenliang, nCoV vs Influenza, Dip in Daily Cases, Spread to Canada
- Forbes Article – Medical Experts Employ Social Media To Battle Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 14: Hospital spread of infection, WHO allowed in China, N-95 masks
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 15: Underreporting, Prevention, 24 Day Incubation? (COVID19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 16: Strengthening Your Immune Response to Viral Infections (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 17: Spike in Confirmed Cases, Fighting Infections with Sleep (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 18: Cellphone Tracking, Increase in Hospitalizations, More Sleep Tips
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 19: Treatment and Medication Clinical Trials
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 20: Misinformation Spread, Infection Severity, Cruise Ship, Origins
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 21: Antibodies, Case Fatality, Clinical Recommendations, 2nd Infections?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 22: Spread Without Symptoms, Cruise Quarantine, Asymptomatic Testing
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 23: Infections in Kids & Pregnancy, South Korea, Spillover From Bats
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 24: Infections in Italy, Transmissibility, COVID-19 Symptoms
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 25: Vaccine Developments, Italy’s Response, and Mortality Rate Trends
- How Viruses Work – Molecular Biology Simplified (DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 26: Treatment Updates, Stock Markets, Germany & San Francisco, Pandemic?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 27: Testing accuracy for COVID-19 (CT Scan vs. RT-PCR), California Cases
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 28: Practical Prevention Strategies, Patient Age vs. Case Fatality Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 29: Testing problems, mutations, COVID-19 in Washington & Iran
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 30: More Global COVID-19 Outbreaks, Vitamin D May Aid Prevention
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 31: Mortality Rate, Cleaning Products, A More/Less Severe Virus Strain?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 32: Important Data from South Korea, Can Zinc Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 33: COVID-19 Medication Treatment Trials, Global Testing Remains Limited
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 34: US Cases Surge, Chloroquine & Zinc Treatment Combo, Italy Lockdown
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 35: New Outbreaks & Travel Restrictions, Possible COVID-19 Treatments
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 36: Flatten The COVID-19 Curve, Social Distancing, Hospital Capacities
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 37: The ACE-2 Receptor – The Doorway to COVID-19 (ACE Inhibitors & ARBs)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 38: How Hospitals & Clinics Can Prepare for COVID-19, Global Cases Surge
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 39: Rapid COVID-19 Spread with Mild or No Symptoms, More on Treatment
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 40: Ibuprofen and COVID-19 (are NSAIDs safe?), Trials of HIV medications
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 41: Shelter In Place, FDA Investigates Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19
- COVID-19 Ventilator Course: Learn or Review Mechanical Ventilation (Free at MedCram.com)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 42: Immunity to COVID-19 and is Reinfection Possible?