COVID-19 Pandemic Video Updates, 66-68
This week’s MedCram updates continue the conversation on oxidative stress in COVID-19, as well how differences in blood type, race, and ethnicity may affect the likelihood of infection and death. Read on for summaries of our latest videos, and check out the full updates at MedCram.com or on our YouTube channel.
ACE-Inhibitors and ARBs – Hypertension Medications and COVID-19
In our 66th COVID-19 update video, Dr. Seheult discusses undulating patterns of daily new cases and daily deaths in various countries, with the United States still experiencing the largest numbers of both. He also reviews an editorial published in the New England Journal of Medicine, which looks at three studies on the intersection of inhibitors of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and COVID-19. Dr. Seheult revisits the effects of ACE inhibitor and angiotensin receptor blocker (ARBs) medications and how they potentially interact with SARS-CoV-2 infection and the course of COVID-19 in those who are infected.
COVID-19 Blood Clots – Race, Blood Types, & Von Willebrand Factor
In the 67th coronavirus update, Dr. Seheult compares countries’ statistics of COVID-19 cases and deaths per million. Continuing the conversation on oxidative stress, Dr. Seheult also discusses research on endothelial dysfunction, nitric oxide, von Willebrand’s Factor (vWF), and thrombosis. With regard to vWF, this study compares how people with different blood types fare with COVID-19. Further research, like this study published in Thrombosis Journal, reported that patients with Type O blood have lower plasma vWF levels, which, according to Dr. Seheult’s hypothesis on vWF and thrombosis in COVID-19, could contribute to lower mortality in COVID-19. Finally, Dr. Seheult references this article from the CDC, which looks at racial and ethnic differences in patients hospitalized with COVID-19.
Kawasaki Disease; Minority Groups & COVID-19
In our 68th video update on COVID-19, Dr. Seheult continues his oxidative stress conversation and revisits race and ethnicity data with COVID-19 published by the CDC. A related article from Circulation sheds light on race differences in endothelial function.
In addition, Dr. Seheult talks about children in New York who are coming down with a syndrome similar to Kawasaki disease, which could be related to COVID-19. This article discusses the symptoms and mechanisms of Kawasaki disease, hypothesizing that it’s brought on by a respiratory or digestive virus that stimulates the body to make IgA through IgA-plasma cells — much like we’ve seen with COVID-19. Kawasaki disease may be the body’s response to fighting a virus, which could explain the uptick in cases during the COVID-19 pandemic.
More COVID-19 Updates To Come
Please continue following along at MedCram.com and our YouTube channel for the latest COVID-19 updates. While you’re there, check out our entire library of lectures on medical subjects ranging from ECG interpretation to chest x-ray interpretation and more.
- Coronavirus Outbreak, Transmission, and Pathophysiology
- Coronavirus Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Coronavirus Update 3: Spread, Quarantine, Projections, and Vaccine
- How Coronavirus Kills: Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) & Treatment
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 5: Mortality Rate vs SARS / Influenza
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 6: Asymptomatic Transmission & Incubation Period
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 7: Global Health Emergency Declared, Viral Shedding
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 8: Travel Ban, Spread Outside of China, Quarantine, & MRSA
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 9: Fecal-Oral Transmission, Recovery vs Death Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 10: New Studies, Transmission, Spread from Wuhan, Prevention (nocv 2019)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 11: Antiviral Drugs, Treatment Trials for nCoV (Remdesivir, Chloroquine)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 12: Unsupported Theories, Pneumonia, ACE2 & nCoV
- Garage Talk Podcast — Dr. Roger Seheult and the Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 13: Li Wenliang, nCoV vs Influenza, Dip in Daily Cases, Spread to Canada
- Forbes Article – Medical Experts Employ Social Media To Battle Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 14: Hospital spread of infection, WHO allowed in China, N-95 masks
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 15: Underreporting, Prevention, 24 Day Incubation? (COVID19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 16: Strengthening Your Immune Response to Viral Infections (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 17: Spike in Confirmed Cases, Fighting Infections with Sleep (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 18: Cellphone Tracking, Increase in Hospitalizations, More Sleep Tips
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 19: Treatment and Medication Clinical Trials
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 20: Misinformation Spread, Infection Severity, Cruise Ship, Origins
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 21: Antibodies, Case Fatality, Clinical Recommendations, 2nd Infections?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 22: Spread Without Symptoms, Cruise Quarantine, Asymptomatic Testing
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 23: Infections in Kids & Pregnancy, South Korea, Spillover From Bats
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 24: Infections in Italy, Transmissibility, COVID-19 Symptoms
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 25: Vaccine Developments, Italy’s Response, and Mortality Rate Trends
- How Viruses Work – Molecular Biology Simplified (DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 26: Treatment Updates, Stock Markets, Germany & San Francisco, Pandemic?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 27: Testing accuracy for COVID-19 (CT Scan vs. RT-PCR), California Cases
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 28: Practical Prevention Strategies, Patient Age vs. Case Fatality Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 29: Testing problems, mutations, COVID-19 in Washington & Iran
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 30: More Global COVID-19 Outbreaks, Vitamin D May Aid Prevention
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 31: Mortality Rate, Cleaning Products, A More/Less Severe Virus Strain?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 32: Important Data from South Korea, Can Zinc Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 33: COVID-19 Medication Treatment Trials, Global Testing Remains Limited
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 34: US Cases Surge, Chloroquine & Zinc Treatment Combo, Italy Lockdown
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 35: New Outbreaks & Travel Restrictions, Possible COVID-19 Treatments
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 36: Flatten The COVID-19 Curve, Social Distancing, Hospital Capacities
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 37: The ACE-2 Receptor – The Doorway to COVID-19 (ACE Inhibitors & ARBs)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 38: How Hospitals & Clinics Can Prepare for COVID-19, Global Cases Surge
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 39: Rapid COVID-19 Spread with Mild or No Symptoms, More on Treatment
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 40: Ibuprofen and COVID-19 (are NSAIDs safe?), Trials of HIV medications
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 41: Shelter In Place, FDA Investigates Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19
- COVID-19 Ventilator Course: Learn or Review Mechanical Ventilation (Free at MedCram.com)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 42: Immunity to COVID-19 and is Reinfection Possible?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 43: Shortages, Immunity, & Can a TB Vaccine (BCG) Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 44: Loss of Smell & Conjunctivitis in COVID-19, Is Fever Helpful?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 45: Sharing Ventilators, More on Sleep, Immunity, & COVID-19 Prevention
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 46: Can Hot/Cold Therapy Boost Immunity? More on Hydroxychloroquine
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 47: Searching for Immunity Boosters & Possible Lessons From Spanish Flu
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 48: Curve Flattening in California, PPE in the ICU, Medication Trials
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 49: New Data on COVID-19 vs Other Viral Infections (Ventilator Outcomes)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 50: Dip in Daily New Deaths; Research on Natural Killer Cells & COVID-19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 51: State by State Projections; Ultrasound to Diagnose COVID19 Pneumonia
- Lung Ultrasound in COVID 19: Findings, Accuracy, Pneumonia Diagnosis, Utility (POCUS)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 52: Ivermectin Treatment; Does COVID-19 Attack Hemoglobin?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 53: Anticoagulation; Can Mechanical Ventilation Make COVID 19 Worse?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 54: COVID-19 Antibody vs. PCR Testing; When to Relax Social Distancing?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 55: How COVID-19 Infection Attacks The Immune System & Differs From HIV
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 56: What is “Forest Bathing” & Can It Boost Immunity Against Viruses?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 57: Remdesivir Treatment Update and Can Far-UVC Disinfect Public Spaces?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 58: Testing; Causes of Hypoxemia in COVID-19 (V/Q vs Shunt vs Diffusion)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 59: Dr. Seheult’s Daily Regimen (Vitamin D, C, Zinc, Quercetin, NAC)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 60: Hydroxychloroquine Update; NYC Data; How Widespread is COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 61: Blood Clots & Strokes in COVID-19; ACE-2 Receptor; Oxidative Stress
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 62: Treatment with Famotidine (Pepcid)?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 63: Is COVID-19 a Disease of the Endothelium (Blood Vessels and Clots)?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 64: Remdesivir COVID-19 Treatment Update
- COVID-19 Clinical Updates & Lessons Learned So Far with Dr. Seheult – Live Webcast Replay
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 65: COVID-19 and Oxidative Stress (Prevention & Risk Factors)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 66: ACE-Inhibitors and ARBs – Hypertension Medications with COVID-19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 67: COVID-19 Blood Clots – Race, Blood Types, & Von Willebrand Factor
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 68: Kawasaki Disease; Minority Groups & COVID-19