COVID-19 Pandemic Video Updates Continued – Videos 43-45
Amid heightened concern surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve recently released three new videos (with more to come this week) on the latest research and interesting developments with the novel coronavirus. Check out the three videos above, plus many more on the MedCram course website and our YouTube channel for coronavirus updates and lectures on other important medical topics.
Shortages, Immunity, & Can a TB Vaccine (BCG) Help Prevent COVID-19?
In our 43rd COVID-19 video update, Dr. Seheult illustrates the overall landscape of efforts to reduce impact on hospitals, prevent transmission of the virus, strengthen our immune systems, improve medication availability, and more. He goes on to discuss the immune system, its innate and specific components, and the process by which these defend against pathogens. Moreover, he looks at the BCG vaccine – typically given to prevent tuberculosis – which stimulates specific and innate arms of the immune system, which may actually provide some protection against the COVID-19 virus.
Loss of Smell & Conjunctivitis in COVID-19, Is Fever Helpful?
In our 44th coronavirus update, Dr. Seheult talks about two new potential signs of COVID-19 infection: conjunctivitis (pink eye) and anosmia (loss of smell). Thus, the American Academy of Ophthalmology is recommending protection for the mouth, nose, and eyes for anyone caring for patients with COVID-19. Additionally, the President of the UK’s Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) Board issued a letter reporting significant increases in numbers of patients testing positive for COVID-19, whose only presenting symptom was anosmia, representing a potential indicator of otherwise asymptomatic vectors.
Moreover, Dr. Seheult continues his lecture on the immune system, discussing the prevalence — and potential benefits — of untreated fever, citing various compelling studies.
Sharing Ventilators, More on Sleep, Immunity, & COVID-19 Prevention
In our 45th COVID-19 update, the United States moves to the top of the global list for total cases, with New York as the epicenter. This leads to a discussion on the risks and benefits of having multiple patients on one ventilator if facing a ventilator shortage. There are many additional challenges inherent with sharing ventilators between multiple patients. Amidst this pandemic, it is likely that clinicians who lack recent ventilator experience (recently graduated, who work in other specialities, recently retired, etc.) may be called upon to help treat patients in the ICU setting. For this reason, MedCram has developed a free COVID-19 Ventilator Course — an efficient way to learn or review mechanical ventilation.
In continuing the discussion on immunity, Dr. Seheult reiterates the importance of sleep, referencing this study on rhinovirus and immunity and this study on sleep deprivation and immunizations. More info on sleep and the immune system can be found in our 17th coronavirus update video or in our Insomnia Explained Clearly Course.
Stay Tuned for More COVID-19 Updates
In the meantime, here’s a list of all the resources we shared so far:
- Coronavirus Outbreak, Transmission, and Pathophysiology
- Coronavirus Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Coronavirus Update 3: Spread, Quarantine, Projections, and Vaccine
- How Coronavirus Kills: Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) & Treatment
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 5: Mortality Rate vs SARS / Influenza
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 6: Asymptomatic Transmission & Incubation Period
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 7: Global Health Emergency Declared, Viral Shedding
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 8: Travel Ban, Spread Outside of China, Quarantine, & MRSA
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 9: Fecal-Oral Transmission, Recovery vs Death Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 10: New Studies, Transmission, Spread from Wuhan, Prevention (nocv 2019)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 11: Antiviral Drugs, Treatment Trials for nCoV (Remdesivir, Chloroquine)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 12: Unsupported Theories, Pneumonia, ACE2 & nCoV
- Garage Talk Podcast — Dr. Roger Seheult and the Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 13: Li Wenliang, nCoV vs Influenza, Dip in Daily Cases, Spread to Canada
- Forbes Article – Medical Experts Employ Social Media To Battle Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 14: Hospital spread of infection, WHO allowed in China, N-95 masks
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 15: Underreporting, Prevention, 24 Day Incubation? (COVID19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 16: Strengthening Your Immune Response to Viral Infections (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 17: Spike in Confirmed Cases, Fighting Infections with Sleep (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 18: Cellphone Tracking, Increase in Hospitalizations, More Sleep Tips
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 19: Treatment and Medication Clinical Trials
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 20: Misinformation Spread, Infection Severity, Cruise Ship, Origins
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 21: Antibodies, Case Fatality, Clinical Recommendations, 2nd Infections?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 22: Spread Without Symptoms, Cruise Quarantine, Asymptomatic Testing
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 23: Infections in Kids & Pregnancy, South Korea, Spillover From Bats
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 24: Infections in Italy, Transmissibility, COVID-19 Symptoms
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 25: Vaccine Developments, Italy’s Response, and Mortality Rate Trends
- How Viruses Work – Molecular Biology Simplified (DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 26: Treatment Updates, Stock Markets, Germany & San Francisco, Pandemic?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 27: Testing accuracy for COVID-19 (CT Scan vs. RT-PCR), California Cases
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 28: Practical Prevention Strategies, Patient Age vs. Case Fatality Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 29: Testing problems, mutations, COVID-19 in Washington & Iran
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 30: More Global COVID-19 Outbreaks, Vitamin D May Aid Prevention
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 31: Mortality Rate, Cleaning Products, A More/Less Severe Virus Strain?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 32: Important Data from South Korea, Can Zinc Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 33: COVID-19 Medication Treatment Trials, Global Testing Remains Limited
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 34: US Cases Surge, Chloroquine & Zinc Treatment Combo, Italy Lockdown
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 35: New Outbreaks & Travel Restrictions, Possible COVID-19 Treatments
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 36: Flatten The COVID-19 Curve, Social Distancing, Hospital Capacities
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 37: The ACE-2 Receptor – The Doorway to COVID-19 (ACE Inhibitors & ARBs)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 38: How Hospitals & Clinics Can Prepare for COVID-19, Global Cases Surge
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 39: Rapid COVID-19 Spread with Mild or No Symptoms, More on Treatment
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 40: Ibuprofen and COVID-19 (are NSAIDs safe?), Trials of HIV medications
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 41: Shelter In Place, FDA Investigates Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19
- COVID-19 Ventilator Course: Learn or Review Mechanical Ventilation (Free at MedCram.com)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 42: Immunity to COVID-19 and is Reinfection Possible?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 43: Shortages, Immunity, & Can a TB Vaccine (BCG) Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 44: Loss of Smell & Conjunctivitis in COVID-19, Is Fever Helpful?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 45: Sharing Ventilators, More on Sleep, Immunity, & COVID-19 Prevention