COVID-19 Updates – ACE-2, Hospital and Clinic Prep, Global Cases Surge
Dr. Seheult and the MedCram team round up the latest updates on COVID-19, as global cases continue to rise and effects are felt around the world. Check out the latest two videos in our Coronavirus Epidemic Explained Clearly course on MedCram.com and YouTube.
The ACE-2 Receptor – The Doorway to COVID-19 (ACE Inhibitors & ARBs)
In video update 37, Dr. Seheult talks about the receptor for the SARS-CoV-2 virus, ACE-2. In this lecture, he goes over the mechanisms and function of ACE-2. Located on cells in the lungs and gastrointestinal tract, ACE-2 receptors act as docking stations for S (spike) proteins on the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
Based on animal data, angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) and ACE inhibitors — both common high blood pressure medications — could increase ACE-2 levels, creating more entry points and potentially higher risk for SARS-CoV-2 infection. As such, Dr. Seheult discusses articles — such as this one posted by The Lancet — and responses — such as this one from the Council on Hypertension — and conflicting opinions on continuing versus halting the use of ACE inhibitor and ARB medications.
How Hospitals & Clinics Can Prepare for COVID-19, Global Cases Surge
In our 38th coronavirus pandemic video update, Dr. Seheult looks at the latest numbers, highlighting a recent surge in cases, relatively small numbers in the United States, and a slight increase in death rate. Revisiting the notion of “flattening the curve,” he talks about the importance of isolation to avoid healthcare overwhelm as is the unfortunate case in Italy.
Moreover, Dr. Seheult discusses some best practices that hospitals and healthcare personnel can undertake to prepare for COVID-19 patients. Some of these include setting up negative-pressure wings in hospitals, an outdoor tent triage strategy in the ER, increasing ventilator supply, reallocating primary care physicians to hospitals, opting for telemedicine whenever possible, and more.
More COVID-19 Updates to Come
Dr. Seheult and the MedCram team will continue reporting on all of the latest COVID-19 research and information. Find all of the coronavirus pandemic updates and more at MedCram.com and on our YouTube channel.
Here are the resources we’ve created and shared so far:
- Coronavirus Outbreak, Transmission, and Pathophysiology
- Coronavirus Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Coronavirus Update 3: Spread, Quarantine, Projections, and Vaccine
- How Coronavirus Kills: Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) & Treatment
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 5: Mortality Rate vs SARS / Influenza
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 6: Asymptomatic Transmission & Incubation Period
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 7: Global Health Emergency Declared, Viral Shedding
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 8: Travel Ban, Spread Outside of China, Quarantine, & MRSA
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 9: Fecal-Oral Transmission, Recovery vs Death Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 10: New Studies, Transmission, Spread from Wuhan, Prevention (nocv 2019)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 11: Antiviral Drugs, Treatment Trials for nCoV (Remdesivir, Chloroquine)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 12: Unsupported Theories, Pneumonia, ACE2 & nCoV
- Garage Talk Podcast — Dr. Roger Seheult and the Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 13: Li Wenliang, nCoV vs Influenza, Dip in Daily Cases, Spread to Canada
- Forbes Article – Medical Experts Employ Social Media To Battle Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 14: Hospital spread of infection, WHO allowed in China, N-95 masks
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 15: Underreporting, Prevention, 24 Day Incubation? (COVID19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 16: Strengthening Your Immune Response to Viral Infections (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 17: Spike in Confirmed Cases, Fighting Infections with Sleep (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 18: Cellphone Tracking, Increase in Hospitalizations, More Sleep Tips
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 19: Treatment and Medication Clinical Trials
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 20: Misinformation Spread, Infection Severity, Cruise Ship, Origins
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 21: Antibodies, Case Fatality, Clinical Recommendations, 2nd Infections?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 22: Spread Without Symptoms, Cruise Quarantine, Asymptomatic Testing
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 23: Infections in Kids & Pregnancy, South Korea, Spillover From Bats
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 24: Infections in Italy, Transmissibility, COVID-19 Symptoms
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 25: Vaccine Developments, Italy’s Response, and Mortality Rate Trends
- How Viruses Work – Molecular Biology Simplified (DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 26: Treatment Updates, Stock Markets, Germany & San Francisco, Pandemic?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 27: Testing accuracy for COVID-19 (CT Scan vs. RT-PCR), California Cases
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 28: Practical Prevention Strategies, Patient Age vs. Case Fatality Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 29: Testing problems, mutations, COVID-19 in Washington & Iran
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 30: More Global COVID-19 Outbreaks, Vitamin D May Aid Prevention
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 31: Mortality Rate, Cleaning Products, A More/Less Severe Virus Strain?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 32: Important Data from South Korea, Can Zinc Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 33: COVID-19 Medication Treatment Trials, Global Testing Remains Limited
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 34: US Cases Surge, Chloroquine & Zinc Treatment Combo, Italy Lockdown
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 35: New Outbreaks & Travel Restrictions, Possible COVID-19 Treatments
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 36: Flatten The COVID-19 Curve, Social Distancing, Hospital Capacities
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 37: The ACE-2 Receptor – The Doorway to COVID-19 (ACE Inhibitors & ARBs)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 38: How Hospitals & Clinics Can Prepare for COVID-19, Global Cases Surge