COVID-19 Updates – Recap of Videos 57-60
Remdesivir Treatment Update and Can Far-UVC Disinfect Public Spaces?
In our 57th video update on the novel coronavirus pandemic, Dr. Seheult shares the link to the updated Johns Hopkins dashboard, including maps of the world and the United States, fatality rates, critical trends, and more. He shares updates on the drug Remdesivir, which we first introduced in video 11 and explained in greater detail in video 33. A report published in STAT shared that early peeks at the data show promise for Remdesivir, to treat patients with COVID-19… but this data and source may not be substantiated.
In other news, Dr. Seheult looks at the potential of ultraviolet light, specifically far-UVC, to control the spread of aerosolized viral particles, such as influenza or COVID-19, without damaging human skin. Thus, the use of far-UVC light in public spaces could play a significant role in lifting shelter-in-place mandates and other shutdowns. The biggest roadblocks, however, are pending FDA approval and availability (and cost) of far-UVC lamps and products.
Testing; Causes of Hypoxemia in COVID-19 (V/Q vs Shunt vs Diffusion)
In our 58th COVID-19 update, Dr. Seheult looks at two reports of antibody testing, one in Chelsea, Massachusetts and the other in Santa Clara County, California. Both of these reports suggest much more widespread infection rates than currently reported. However, Dr. Seheult discusses the limitations of each report and testing method, as well as the importance of peer reviews, such as this one that looked at the Santa Clara County report.
Switching gears, Dr. Seheult discusses the three types of hypoxemia — V/Q mismatch, shunting, and diffusion abnormalities — and their mechanisms in COVID-19. For an even deeper look at hypoxemia, check out our free Hypoxemia Explained Clearly course at MedCram.com.
Coronavirus Pandemic Update 59: Dr. Seheult’s Daily Regimen (Vitamin D, C, Zinc, Quercetin, NAC)
Our 59th coronavirus pandemic update brings practical advice for staying healthy from Dr. Seheult’s daily regimen, again highlighting the importance of sleep. He talks about supplementing with vitamins C and D, as well as quercetin, a zinc ionophore that can also be found in onions, capers, and other food products. Dr. Seheult also talks about supplementing with zinc and NAC, or N-acetylcysteine, which has been shown to significantly attenuate severity of the influenza virus.
For staying safe at work, Dr. Seheult also details his daily process starting with supplies to keep in your car, entering and exiting the hospital, strategies for dressing and undressing, and even his showering methods (and hydrothermal therapy) once arriving back at home.
Hydroxychloroquine Update; NYC Data; How Widespread is COVID-19?
In our 60th COVID-19 video update, Dr. Seheult reviews numbers across the globe, as well as a new study looking at blood samples of residents of Los Angeles county, which predicted that the actual infection rate may be up to 40 times greater than previously reported. Dr. Seheult also addresses why men might be more likely to contract COVID-19, referencing this GQ article, in which Dr. Seheult comments on differences in innate immunity for men and women.
In addition, Dr. Seheult looks at the latest study on hydroxychloroquine, citing this article in GoodRx, which overviews several studies on its effectiveness in treating COVID-19. He also cites articles on utilizing prone position for patients with ARDS or while on the ventilator, as well as this article summarizing the characteristics, comorbidities, and outcomes of COVID-19 patients in the New York City area.
More Updates and Information to Come!
Meanwhile, here’s a list of all the resources we’ve shared so far:
- Coronavirus Outbreak, Transmission, and Pathophysiology
- Coronavirus Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Coronavirus Update 3: Spread, Quarantine, Projections, and Vaccine
- How Coronavirus Kills: Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) & Treatment
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 5: Mortality Rate vs SARS / Influenza
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 6: Asymptomatic Transmission & Incubation Period
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 7: Global Health Emergency Declared, Viral Shedding
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 8: Travel Ban, Spread Outside of China, Quarantine, & MRSA
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 9: Fecal-Oral Transmission, Recovery vs Death Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 10: New Studies, Transmission, Spread from Wuhan, Prevention (nocv 2019)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 11: Antiviral Drugs, Treatment Trials for nCoV (Remdesivir, Chloroquine)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 12: Unsupported Theories, Pneumonia, ACE2 & nCoV
- Garage Talk Podcast — Dr. Roger Seheult and the Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 13: Li Wenliang, nCoV vs Influenza, Dip in Daily Cases, Spread to Canada
- Forbes Article – Medical Experts Employ Social Media To Battle Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 14: Hospital spread of infection, WHO allowed in China, N-95 masks
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 15: Underreporting, Prevention, 24 Day Incubation? (COVID19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 16: Strengthening Your Immune Response to Viral Infections (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 17: Spike in Confirmed Cases, Fighting Infections with Sleep (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 18: Cellphone Tracking, Increase in Hospitalizations, More Sleep Tips
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 19: Treatment and Medication Clinical Trials
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 20: Misinformation Spread, Infection Severity, Cruise Ship, Origins
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 21: Antibodies, Case Fatality, Clinical Recommendations, 2nd Infections?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 22: Spread Without Symptoms, Cruise Quarantine, Asymptomatic Testing
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 23: Infections in Kids & Pregnancy, South Korea, Spillover From Bats
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 24: Infections in Italy, Transmissibility, COVID-19 Symptoms
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 25: Vaccine Developments, Italy’s Response, and Mortality Rate Trends
- How Viruses Work – Molecular Biology Simplified (DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 26: Treatment Updates, Stock Markets, Germany & San Francisco, Pandemic?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 27: Testing accuracy for COVID-19 (CT Scan vs. RT-PCR), California Cases
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 28: Practical Prevention Strategies, Patient Age vs. Case Fatality Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 29: Testing problems, mutations, COVID-19 in Washington & Iran
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 30: More Global COVID-19 Outbreaks, Vitamin D May Aid Prevention
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 31: Mortality Rate, Cleaning Products, A More/Less Severe Virus Strain?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 32: Important Data from South Korea, Can Zinc Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 33: COVID-19 Medication Treatment Trials, Global Testing Remains Limited
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 34: US Cases Surge, Chloroquine & Zinc Treatment Combo, Italy Lockdown
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 35: New Outbreaks & Travel Restrictions, Possible COVID-19 Treatments
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 36: Flatten The COVID-19 Curve, Social Distancing, Hospital Capacities
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 37: The ACE-2 Receptor – The Doorway to COVID-19 (ACE Inhibitors & ARBs)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 38: How Hospitals & Clinics Can Prepare for COVID-19, Global Cases Surge
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 39: Rapid COVID-19 Spread with Mild or No Symptoms, More on Treatment
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 40: Ibuprofen and COVID-19 (are NSAIDs safe?), Trials of HIV medications
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 41: Shelter In Place, FDA Investigates Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19
- COVID-19 Ventilator Course: Learn or Review Mechanical Ventilation (Free at MedCram.com)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 42: Immunity to COVID-19 and is Reinfection Possible?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 43: Shortages, Immunity, & Can a TB Vaccine (BCG) Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 44: Loss of Smell & Conjunctivitis in COVID-19, Is Fever Helpful?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 45: Sharing Ventilators, More on Sleep, Immunity, & COVID-19 Prevention
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 46: Can Hot/Cold Therapy Boost Immunity? More on Hydroxychloroquine
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 47: Searching for Immunity Boosters & Possible Lessons From Spanish Flu
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 48: Curve Flattening in California, PPE in the ICU, Medication Trials
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 49: New Data on COVID-19 vs Other Viral Infections (Ventilator Outcomes)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 50: Dip in Daily New Deaths; Research on Natural Killer Cells & COVID-19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 51: State by State Projections; Ultrasound to Diagnose COVID19 Pneumonia
- Lung Ultrasound in COVID 19: Findings, Accuracy, Pneumonia Diagnosis, Utility (POCUS)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 52: Ivermectin Treatment; Does COVID-19 Attack Hemoglobin?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 53: Anticoagulation; Can Mechanical Ventilation Make COVID 19 Worse?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 54: COVID-19 Antibody vs. PCR Testing; When to Relax Social Distancing?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 55: How COVID-19 Infection Attacks The Immune System & Differs From HIV
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 56: What is “Forest Bathing” & Can It Boost Immunity Against Viruses?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 57: Remdesivir Treatment Update and Can Far-UVC Disinfect Public Spaces?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 58: Testing; Causes of Hypoxemia in COVID-19 (V/Q vs Shunt vs Diffusion)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 59: Dr. Seheult’s Daily Regimen (Vitamin D, C, Zinc, Quercetin, NAC)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 60: Hydroxychloroquine Update; NYC Data; How Widespread is COVID-19?