COVID-19 Video Updates 61-65
It’s been a busy week at MedCram, as we participated in our first live stream lecture — called COVID-19 Clinical Updates & Lessons Learned So Far with Dr. Seheult — last Thursday. In this free webcast, Dr. Seheult presented key COVID-19 updates, prevention strategies, treatments, and some lessons learned so far, as well as answered thoughtful questions from our viewers. In addition, we partnered with Continuing Education Company to offer 1.5 CME credits for medical professionals who tuned in.
Blood Clots & Strokes in COVID-19; ACE-2 Receptor; Oxidative Stress
In our 61st COVID-19 update video, Dr. Seheult looks at the numbers of daily new cases and deaths around the globe, before addressing this alarming Washington Post article, describing the occurrence of young and middle aged people with COVID-19 who are getting strokes.
Related to this, a case study looked at a 72-year-old, otherwise healthy male diagnosed with COVID-19 and found that his blood clots may have been mediated by very high levels of Von Willebrand factor (VWF) and factor VIII in the coagulation cascade. Then, Dr. Seheult dives into the molecular biology of the effects of the SARS-CoV-2 virus on angiotensin-II, leading to vasoconstriction, increased blood pressure, vascular permeability, pulmonary edema, and ARDS.
Treatment with Famotidine (Pepcid)?
In our 62nd coronavirus video update, Dr. Seheult talks about research on famotidine (Pepcid). This research consists of an epidemiological review and separate study looking at the protein structures of SARS-CoV-2 and various medications, which led to a discreet clinical trial looking at treatments of famotidine with hydroxychloroquine versus just hydroxychloroquine versus historical controls.
Moreover, Dr. Seheult picks up on the idea of oxidative stress and COVID-19’s impact and damage on the endothelium, which he continues in-depth in the next update video.
Is COVID-19 a Disease of the Endothelium (Blood Vessels and Clots)?
In the 63rd COVID-19 update, Dr. Seheult dives right in by explaining the possibility of COVID-19 as a disease of the endothelium (the thin layer of cells lining the inside of arteries). First, he reviews the basics of oxidative stress, starting with mitochondria, leading to biochemical explanations of the electron transport chain, ATP, and the role of superoxide molecules in oxidative stress and disease.
Dr. Seheult then applies this knowledge and information to this article, which examines the role of angiotensin converting enzyme-2 (ACE2) — the target of SARS-CoV-2 — in endothelial dysfunction and atherosclerosis.
Remdesivir COVID-19 Treatment Update
Our 64th coronavirus pandemic update focuses on Remdesivir, citing this article from the Lancet describing a study from ten hospitals in China. The study compared Remdesivir versus placebo, and did show a statistical significance between the groups. Interestingly, the NIH released a separate article on the same day, referencing a U.S. study looking at Remdesivir, which showed a statistically significant decreased recovery time for the Remdesivir group compared to the placebo group and a nearly statistically significant lower mortality rate for the Remdesivir group compared to the placebo patients.
COVID-19 and Oxidative Stress (Prevention & Risk Factors)
Finally, in our 65th COVID-19 update video, Dr. Seheult revisits oxidative stress, discussing angiotensin-II’s role in the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS). He also explains the function of polymorphonuclear leukocytes (PMNs) secreting superoxide in COVID-19. Overall, this video presents a schematic suggesting that the SARS-CoV-2 virus creates an environment within the body that tips the scale toward oxidative stress. This provides a reasonable explanation as to why patients with comorbidities like obesity and hypertension are at higher risk for thrombosis related to COVID-19, as reported in previously discussed articles on COVID-19 patients dying of strokes.
More COVID-19 Updates to Come
There’s a lot more to cover on the topic of oxidative stress and COVID-19, so please stay tuned by creating a free account at MedCram.com and by subscribing and turning on notifications for our YouTube channel.
Until next time, here’s a list of all the COVID-19 resources and videos we’ve shared so far:
- Coronavirus Outbreak, Transmission, and Pathophysiology
- Coronavirus Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Coronavirus Update 3: Spread, Quarantine, Projections, and Vaccine
- How Coronavirus Kills: Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) & Treatment
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 5: Mortality Rate vs SARS / Influenza
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 6: Asymptomatic Transmission & Incubation Period
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 7: Global Health Emergency Declared, Viral Shedding
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 8: Travel Ban, Spread Outside of China, Quarantine, & MRSA
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 9: Fecal-Oral Transmission, Recovery vs Death Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 10: New Studies, Transmission, Spread from Wuhan, Prevention (nocv 2019)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 11: Antiviral Drugs, Treatment Trials for nCoV (Remdesivir, Chloroquine)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 12: Unsupported Theories, Pneumonia, ACE2 & nCoV
- Garage Talk Podcast — Dr. Roger Seheult and the Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 13: Li Wenliang, nCoV vs Influenza, Dip in Daily Cases, Spread to Canada
- Forbes Article – Medical Experts Employ Social Media To Battle Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 14: Hospital spread of infection, WHO allowed in China, N-95 masks
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 15: Underreporting, Prevention, 24 Day Incubation? (COVID19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 16: Strengthening Your Immune Response to Viral Infections (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 17: Spike in Confirmed Cases, Fighting Infections with Sleep (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 18: Cellphone Tracking, Increase in Hospitalizations, More Sleep Tips
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 19: Treatment and Medication Clinical Trials
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 20: Misinformation Spread, Infection Severity, Cruise Ship, Origins
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 21: Antibodies, Case Fatality, Clinical Recommendations, 2nd Infections?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 22: Spread Without Symptoms, Cruise Quarantine, Asymptomatic Testing
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 23: Infections in Kids & Pregnancy, South Korea, Spillover From Bats
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 24: Infections in Italy, Transmissibility, COVID-19 Symptoms
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 25: Vaccine Developments, Italy’s Response, and Mortality Rate Trends
- How Viruses Work – Molecular Biology Simplified (DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 26: Treatment Updates, Stock Markets, Germany & San Francisco, Pandemic?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 27: Testing accuracy for COVID-19 (CT Scan vs. RT-PCR), California Cases
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 28: Practical Prevention Strategies, Patient Age vs. Case Fatality Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 29: Testing problems, mutations, COVID-19 in Washington & Iran
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 30: More Global COVID-19 Outbreaks, Vitamin D May Aid Prevention
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 31: Mortality Rate, Cleaning Products, A More/Less Severe Virus Strain?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 32: Important Data from South Korea, Can Zinc Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 33: COVID-19 Medication Treatment Trials, Global Testing Remains Limited
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 34: US Cases Surge, Chloroquine & Zinc Treatment Combo, Italy Lockdown
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 35: New Outbreaks & Travel Restrictions, Possible COVID-19 Treatments
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 36: Flatten The COVID-19 Curve, Social Distancing, Hospital Capacities
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 37: The ACE-2 Receptor – The Doorway to COVID-19 (ACE Inhibitors & ARBs)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 38: How Hospitals & Clinics Can Prepare for COVID-19, Global Cases Surge
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 39: Rapid COVID-19 Spread with Mild or No Symptoms, More on Treatment
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 40: Ibuprofen and COVID-19 (are NSAIDs safe?), Trials of HIV medications
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 41: Shelter In Place, FDA Investigates Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19
- COVID-19 Ventilator Course: Learn or Review Mechanical Ventilation (Free at MedCram.com)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 42: Immunity to COVID-19 and is Reinfection Possible?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 43: Shortages, Immunity, & Can a TB Vaccine (BCG) Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 44: Loss of Smell & Conjunctivitis in COVID-19, Is Fever Helpful?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 45: Sharing Ventilators, More on Sleep, Immunity, & COVID-19 Prevention
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 46: Can Hot/Cold Therapy Boost Immunity? More on Hydroxychloroquine
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 47: Searching for Immunity Boosters & Possible Lessons From Spanish Flu
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 48: Curve Flattening in California, PPE in the ICU, Medication Trials
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 49: New Data on COVID-19 vs Other Viral Infections (Ventilator Outcomes)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 50: Dip in Daily New Deaths; Research on Natural Killer Cells & COVID-19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 51: State by State Projections; Ultrasound to Diagnose COVID19 Pneumonia
- Lung Ultrasound in COVID 19: Findings, Accuracy, Pneumonia Diagnosis, Utility (POCUS)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 52: Ivermectin Treatment; Does COVID-19 Attack Hemoglobin?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 53: Anticoagulation; Can Mechanical Ventilation Make COVID 19 Worse?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 54: COVID-19 Antibody vs. PCR Testing; When to Relax Social Distancing?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 55: How COVID-19 Infection Attacks The Immune System & Differs From HIV
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 56: What is “Forest Bathing” & Can It Boost Immunity Against Viruses?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 57: Remdesivir Treatment Update and Can Far-UVC Disinfect Public Spaces?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 58: Testing; Causes of Hypoxemia in COVID-19 (V/Q vs Shunt vs Diffusion)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 59: Dr. Seheult’s Daily Regimen (Vitamin D, C, Zinc, Quercetin, NAC)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 60: Hydroxychloroquine Update; NYC Data; How Widespread is COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 61: Blood Clots & Strokes in COVID-19; ACE-2 Receptor; Oxidative Stress
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 62: Treatment with Famotidine (Pepcid)?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 63: Is COVID-19 a Disease of the Endothelium (Blood Vessels and Clots)?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 64: Remdesivir COVID-19 Treatment Update
- COVID-19 Clinical Updates & Lessons Learned So Far with Dr. Seheult – Live Webcast Replay
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 65: COVID-19 and Oxidative Stress (Prevention & Risk Factors)