Novel Coronavirus Update – New Videos Available!
We’ve got a lot of updates available — and four new videos — on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Read on for more information and visit MedCram.com for the full list of updates on this and dozens of other medical topics.
Spike in Confirmed Cases & Fighting Infections with Sleep
In our 17th video update on the novel coronavirus, Dr. Seheult discusses the switch from using PCR test kits to check RNA for the SARS-CoV-2 virus, to allowing chest x-rays or CT scan diagnosis. This switch resulted in a temporary spike in the number of confirmed cases coming from China, as seen on the Worldometer and Johns Hopkins dashboards we’ve shared.
Although we don’t yet have randomized, controlled trials for COVID-19, Dr. Seheult goes deeper into the importance of sleep on immunity to viruses in general. However, it’s important to realize that more sleep doesn’t necessarily mean better sleep, as a variety of health issues, diseases, and lifestyle choices impact sleep quality. Dr. Seheult also touches on this study on the effects of sleep deprivation and the body’s ability to ward off the flu, as well as this study on sleep deprivation and efficiency related to susceptibility to the common cold.
Cell Phone Tracking, Increase in Hospitalizations, & More Sleep Tips
In our 18th video, Dr. Seheult talks about a New England Journal of Medicine article referenced back in January, which talked about the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from a reportedly asymptomatic Chinese visitor to business partners in Germany. However, further investigation revealed that the Chinese woman was experiencing symptoms, highlighting the importance of care and accuracy in the rapid spread of information.
The Chinese government is also utilizing GPS tracking in citizens’ cell phones to enforce travel restrictions for people who have recently been in Wuhan and other areas with high rates of coronavirus infections.
Lastly, Dr. Seheult talks more about sleep and circadian rhythms, particularly for shift workers and those suffering with insomnia. Check out this link from the American Association of Sleep Medicine for tips on improving sleep.
Treatment and Medication Clinical Trials
In our 19th video update on the novel coronavirus outbreak, Dr. Seheult starts by giving an overview of the COVID-19 statistics, as well as the latest updates on the research and development of medications. He also brings up an article in Nature that talks about the plethora of clinical trials launching to test coronavirus treatment, as well as the World Health Organization’s attempts to standardize the trials for more accurate comparisons and outcomes.
Coronavirus Misinformation Spread, Infection Severity, Cruise Ship, Origins
In our 20th update on COVID-19, Dr. Seheult shares several of the latest articles on the outbreak, including one from NPR on the rampant circulation of misinformation. He also walks through a study from the University of Minnesota, which looks at statistics and demographics about mild, severe, and critical cases of COVID-19, infections among healthcare workers, as well as the status of passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship.
A pre-print, not-yet peer-reviewed article talks about the theories on the origin of the SARS-CoV-2, proposing two scenarios for the evolution of this virus.
Stay Tuned for More COVID-19 Updates
Please continue following along on our website, YouTube channel, and blog to keep up with the latest information on the COVID-19 outbreak. Check out the links below for previous videos and references that we’ve shared so far.
- Coronavirus Outbreak, Transmission, and Pathophysiology
- Coronavirus Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Coronavirus Update 3: Spread, Quarantine, Projections, and Vaccine
- How Coronavirus Kills: Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) & Treatment
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 5: Mortality Rate vs SARS / Influenza
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 6: Asymptomatic Transmission & Incubation Period
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 7: Global Health Emergency Declared, Viral Shedding
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 8: Travel Ban, Spread Outside of China, Quarantine, & MRSA
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 9: Fecal-Oral Transmission, Recovery vs Death Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 10: New Studies, Transmission, Spread from Wuhan, Prevention (nocv 2019)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 11: Antiviral Drugs, Treatment Trials for nCoV (Remdesivir, Chloroquine)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 12: Unsupported Theories, Pneumonia, ACE2 & nCoV
- Garage Talk Podcast — Dr. Roger Seheult and the Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 13: Li Wenliang, nCoV vs Influenza, Dip in Daily Cases, Spread to Canada
- Forbes Article – Medical Experts Employ Social Media To Battle Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 14: Hospital spread of infection, WHO allowed in China, N-95 masks
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 15: Underreporting, Prevention, 24 Day Incubation? (COVID19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 16: Strengthening Your Immune Response to Viral Infections (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 17: Spike in Confirmed Cases, Fighting Infections with Sleep (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 18: Cellphone Tracking, Increase in Hospitalizations, More Sleep Tips
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 19: Treatment and Medication Clinical Trials
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 20: Misinformation Spread, Infection Severity, Cruise Ship, Origins