COVID-19 Pandemic Video Updates Continued
As the United States continues to be the current global epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve released several new videos to keep you informed about the latest research and treatment trials. Check out the videos embedded above, on our YouTube channel, or at MedCram.com for the most recent updates.
Dip in Daily New Deaths; Research on Natural Killer Cells & COVID-19
In our 50th coronavirus pandemic update video, Dr. Seheult hones in on natural killer cells and our innate immune systems. He highlights this article, which talks about a COVID-19 immunotherapy trial in Seattle, which aims to devise a treatment plan for patients who are hospitalized, but not yet sick enough to be put on a ventilator. The doctor leading this research, Dr. Corey Casper, speaks about this window of time as a “critical moment… where we [medical professionals] think we can make the most impact.”
State by State Projections; Ultrasound to Diagnose COVID-19 Pneumonia
In our 51st COVID-19 update video, Dr. Seheult introduces this projection model created by the University of Washington, which aims to predict the peak resource usage, and hospital bed, ICU bed, and ventilator numbers in each country and U.S. state.
Dr. Seheult is also joined by Dr. Joshua Jacquet, a fellow MedCram instructor and ultrasound expert. They talk about methods for imaging patients’ lungs — and the problems with CT scans during a pandemic. Not only does a lung ultrasound rival a CT scan for diagnostic accuracy, it has many advantages: no radiation, quick to perform, lower cost, and easier to disinfect. Some ultrasound probes can connect with a smartphone or tablet.
Ivermectin Treatment; Does COVID-19 Attack Hemoglobin?
The 52nd MedCram COVID-19 update video highlights Ivermectin, an already-FDA-approved medicine typically used for parasites. Dr. Seheult dives into the molecular biology of Ivermectin function and its broad-spectrum antiviral activity shown in in vitro research, citing this peer-reviewed article.
In addition, Dr. Seheult addresses the speculation that SARS-CoV-2 somehow prevents hemoglobin from binding oxygen. He demonstrates how oxygen travels from the alveoli to plasma and red blood cells, and discusses the theories described in this article.
Anticoagulation; Can Mechanical Ventilation Make COVID-19 Worse?
In our 53rd COVID-19 pandemic update video, Dr. Seheult talks about mechanical ventilation questions that have been raised by physicians treating COVID-19 patients in Italy and New York. He references this letter, written by Italy’s Dr. Gattinoni, who describes two different “phenotypes” that he’s seeing with COVID-19 lung infections: Type L, characterized by low elastance, low ventilation-to-perfusion ratio, low lung weight, and low recruitability, and Type H, characterized by high elastance, high right-to-left shunt, high lung weight, and high recruitability.
Moreover, Dr. Seheult discusses comparisons of the effects of COVID-19 to high altitude pulmonary edema (HAPE), as well as the risks of embolism and anticoagulation.
More Videos and COVID-19 Information Coming Soon!
- Coronavirus Outbreak, Transmission, and Pathophysiology
- Coronavirus Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Coronavirus Update 3: Spread, Quarantine, Projections, and Vaccine
- How Coronavirus Kills: Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) & Treatment
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 5: Mortality Rate vs SARS / Influenza
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 6: Asymptomatic Transmission & Incubation Period
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 7: Global Health Emergency Declared, Viral Shedding
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 8: Travel Ban, Spread Outside of China, Quarantine, & MRSA
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 9: Fecal-Oral Transmission, Recovery vs Death Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 10: New Studies, Transmission, Spread from Wuhan, Prevention (nocv 2019)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 11: Antiviral Drugs, Treatment Trials for nCoV (Remdesivir, Chloroquine)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 12: Unsupported Theories, Pneumonia, ACE2 & nCoV
- Garage Talk Podcast — Dr. Roger Seheult and the Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 13: Li Wenliang, nCoV vs Influenza, Dip in Daily Cases, Spread to Canada
- Forbes Article – Medical Experts Employ Social Media To Battle Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 14: Hospital spread of infection, WHO allowed in China, N-95 masks
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 15: Underreporting, Prevention, 24 Day Incubation? (COVID19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 16: Strengthening Your Immune Response to Viral Infections (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 17: Spike in Confirmed Cases, Fighting Infections with Sleep (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 18: Cellphone Tracking, Increase in Hospitalizations, More Sleep Tips
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 19: Treatment and Medication Clinical Trials
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 20: Misinformation Spread, Infection Severity, Cruise Ship, Origins
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 21: Antibodies, Case Fatality, Clinical Recommendations, 2nd Infections?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 22: Spread Without Symptoms, Cruise Quarantine, Asymptomatic Testing
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 23: Infections in Kids & Pregnancy, South Korea, Spillover From Bats
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 24: Infections in Italy, Transmissibility, COVID-19 Symptoms
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 25: Vaccine Developments, Italy’s Response, and Mortality Rate Trends
- How Viruses Work – Molecular Biology Simplified (DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 26: Treatment Updates, Stock Markets, Germany & San Francisco, Pandemic?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 27: Testing accuracy for COVID-19 (CT Scan vs. RT-PCR), California Cases
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 28: Practical Prevention Strategies, Patient Age vs. Case Fatality Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 29: Testing problems, mutations, COVID-19 in Washington & Iran
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 30: More Global COVID-19 Outbreaks, Vitamin D May Aid Prevention
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 31: Mortality Rate, Cleaning Products, A More/Less Severe Virus Strain?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 32: Important Data from South Korea, Can Zinc Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 33: COVID-19 Medication Treatment Trials, Global Testing Remains Limited
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 34: US Cases Surge, Chloroquine & Zinc Treatment Combo, Italy Lockdown
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 35: New Outbreaks & Travel Restrictions, Possible COVID-19 Treatments
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 36: Flatten The COVID-19 Curve, Social Distancing, Hospital Capacities
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 37: The ACE-2 Receptor – The Doorway to COVID-19 (ACE Inhibitors & ARBs)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 38: How Hospitals & Clinics Can Prepare for COVID-19, Global Cases Surge
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 39: Rapid COVID-19 Spread with Mild or No Symptoms, More on Treatment
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 40: Ibuprofen and COVID-19 (are NSAIDs safe?), Trials of HIV medications
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 41: Shelter In Place, FDA Investigates Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19
- COVID-19 Ventilator Course: Learn or Review Mechanical Ventilation (Free at MedCram.com)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 42: Immunity to COVID-19 and is Reinfection Possible?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 43: Shortages, Immunity, & Can a TB Vaccine (BCG) Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 44: Loss of Smell & Conjunctivitis in COVID-19, Is Fever Helpful?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 45: Sharing Ventilators, More on Sleep, Immunity, & COVID-19 Prevention
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 46: Can Hot/Cold Therapy Boost Immunity? More on Hydroxychloroquine
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 47: Searching for Immunity Boosters & Possible Lessons From Spanish Flu
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 48: Curve Flattening in California, PPE in the ICU, Medication Trials
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 49: New Data on COVID-19 vs Other Viral Infections (Ventilator Outcomes)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 50: Dip in Daily New Deaths; Research on Natural Killer Cells & COVID-19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 51: State by State Projections; Ultrasound to Diagnose COVID19 Pneumonia
- Lung Ultrasound in COVID 19: Findings, Accuracy, Pneumonia Diagnosis, Utility (POCUS)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 52: Ivermectin Treatment; Does COVID-19 Attack Hemoglobin?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 53: Anticoagulation; Can Mechanical Ventilation Make COVID 19 Worse?