COVID-19 Video Updates, 109-111
Our most recent videos in the COVID-19 Explained Clearly series provide updates on daily new infections and deaths in Europe, President Trump’s COVID-19 diagnosis and treatment, the role of interferon, mask usage, and new data on vitamin D and n-acetylcysteine (NAC) supplementation. Check out these videos — plus more on COVID-19 and a variety of medical topics — at MedCram.com.
New Data From Europe As COVID-19 Infections Rise
In our 109th COVID-19 update, Dr. Seheult talks about numbers — daily new cases and daily new deaths — for the United States and countries in Europe. In Europe, daily new infections are rising, whereas daily new deaths appear relatively stable. Diving deeper into these figures, Dr. Seheult explains that, for many of these European countries, younger people — who are more likely to be going out and spreading COVID-19 — are likely making up a larger proportion of the daily new cases. Yet, because of their age and relative health, they are faring better and resulting in fewer daily new deaths.
Trump’s Risk Factors and COVID-19 Prognosis; Interferon
In our 110th coronavirus pandemic update, Dr. Seheult shares information on and potential implications of President Trump’s COVID-19 diagnosis. Dr. Seheult also uses the information available from President Trump’s symptom progression, daily supplement regimen, and COVID-19 treatment plan as a case study, examining many of the topics, treatments, and research we’ve been discussing over the course of the pandemic.
Dr. Seheult focuses on the role of immune system response, highlighting two papers from Science — regarding gene mutations and rogue antibodies — that may impact the body’s interferon response to COVID-19. The implication in this research is that the absence of interferon may be deleterious to the immune response necessary to prevent severe effects of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Lastly, this paper from 1988, provides evidence that hyperthermia (much like the sauna treatments and thermal regulation discussed in update 46) may cause a beneficial increase in interferon levels.
Masks; New Vitamin D Data; NAC
Our 111th COVID-19 update video brings information on mask usage via this study that compared “effect of face masks on gas exchange in healthy persons and patients with COPD.” This study concludes that safety concerns over mask usage exacerbating preexisting chronic lung conditions are unsubstantiated, supporting the enforcement of mask wearing in community settings.
Switching gears, Dr. Seheult cites this study from PLOS ONE, which maps an inverse association between 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and SARS-CoV-2 positive diagnosis rate. Importantly, this retrospective analysis shows that regardless of age, geographical region, gender, and ethnicity, higher vitamin D levels are across the board associated with lower SARS-CoV-2 infection rates.
Finally, Dr. Seheult walks through this study on high-dose NAC (n-acetylcysteine) administration in COVID-19 patients with the goal of preventing ICU admission, mechanical ventilation, and morbidity. Despite a slight decrease in the likelihood of these negative outcomes for patients who received NAC, these numbers did not achieve statistical significance. These results, however, raise the question of whether or not NAC supplementation may be more effective earlier on in the disease progression of COVID-19.
Stay Tuned for More COVID-19 Updates
All of our COVID-19 videos are always available and free (and ad-free) at MedCram.com. In addition, check out our full library of courses and lectures on subjects ranging from CBC Results to COPD Explained Clearly and many more!
Meanwhile, here’s a list of all the COVID-19 resources we’ve shared so far:
- Coronavirus Outbreak, Transmission, and Pathophysiology
- Coronavirus Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Coronavirus Update 3: Spread, Quarantine, Projections, and Vaccine
- How Coronavirus Kills: Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) & Treatment
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 5: Mortality Rate vs SARS / Influenza
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 6: Asymptomatic Transmission & Incubation Period
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 7: Global Health Emergency Declared, Viral Shedding
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 8: Travel Ban, Spread Outside of China, Quarantine, & MRSA
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 9: Fecal-Oral Transmission, Recovery vs Death Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 10: New Studies, Transmission, Spread from Wuhan, Prevention (nocv 2019)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 11: Antiviral Drugs, Treatment Trials for nCoV (Remdesivir, Chloroquine)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 12: Unsupported Theories, Pneumonia, ACE2 & nCoV
- Garage Talk Podcast — Dr. Roger Seheult and the Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 13: Li Wenliang, nCoV vs Influenza, Dip in Daily Cases, Spread to Canada
- Forbes Article – Medical Experts Employ Social Media To Battle Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 14: Hospital spread of infection, WHO allowed in China, N-95 masks
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 15: Underreporting, Prevention, 24 Day Incubation? (COVID19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 16: Strengthening Your Immune Response to Viral Infections (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 17: Spike in Confirmed Cases, Fighting Infections with Sleep (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 18: Cellphone Tracking, Increase in Hospitalizations, More Sleep Tips
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 19: Treatment and Medication Clinical Trials
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 20: Misinformation Spread, Infection Severity, Cruise Ship, Origins
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 21: Antibodies, Case Fatality, Clinical Recommendations, 2nd Infections?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 22: Spread Without Symptoms, Cruise Quarantine, Asymptomatic Testing
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 23: Infections in Kids & Pregnancy, South Korea, Spillover From Bats
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 24: Infections in Italy, Transmissibility, COVID-19 Symptoms
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 25: Vaccine Developments, Italy’s Response, and Mortality Rate Trends
- How Viruses Work – Molecular Biology Simplified (DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 26: Treatment Updates, Stock Markets, Germany & San Francisco, Pandemic?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 27: Testing accuracy for COVID-19 (CT Scan vs. RT-PCR), California Cases
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 28: Practical Prevention Strategies, Patient Age vs. Case Fatality Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 29: Testing problems, mutations, COVID-19 in Washington & Iran
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 30: More Global COVID-19 Outbreaks, Vitamin D May Aid Prevention
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 31: Mortality Rate, Cleaning Products, A More/Less Severe Virus Strain?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 32: Important Data from South Korea, Can Zinc Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 33: COVID-19 Medication Treatment Trials, Global Testing Remains Limited
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 34: US Cases Surge, Chloroquine & Zinc Treatment Combo, Italy Lockdown
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 35: New Outbreaks & Travel Restrictions, Possible COVID-19 Treatments
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 36: Flatten The COVID-19 Curve, Social Distancing, Hospital Capacities
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 37: The ACE-2 Receptor – The Doorway to COVID-19 (ACE Inhibitors & ARBs)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 38: How Hospitals & Clinics Can Prepare for COVID-19, Global Cases Surge
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 39: Rapid COVID-19 Spread with Mild or No Symptoms, More on Treatment
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 40: Ibuprofen and COVID-19 (are NSAIDs safe?), Trials of HIV medications
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 41: Shelter In Place, FDA Investigates Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19
- COVID-19 Ventilator Course: Learn or Review Mechanical Ventilation (Free at MedCram.com)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 42: Immunity to COVID-19 and is Reinfection Possible?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 43: Shortages, Immunity, & Can a TB Vaccine (BCG) Help Prevent COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 44: Loss of Smell & Conjunctivitis in COVID-19, Is Fever Helpful?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 45: Sharing Ventilators, More on Sleep, Immunity, & COVID-19 Prevention
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 46: Can Hot/Cold Therapy Boost Immunity? More on Hydroxychloroquine
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 47: Searching for Immunity Boosters & Possible Lessons From Spanish Flu
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 48: Curve Flattening in California, PPE in the ICU, Medication Trials
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 49: New Data on COVID-19 vs Other Viral Infections (Ventilator Outcomes)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 50: Dip in Daily New Deaths; Research on Natural Killer Cells & COVID-19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 51: State by State Projections; Ultrasound to Diagnose COVID19 Pneumonia
- Lung Ultrasound in COVID 19: Findings, Accuracy, Pneumonia Diagnosis, Utility (POCUS)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 52: Ivermectin Treatment; Does COVID-19 Attack Hemoglobin?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 53: Anticoagulation; Can Mechanical Ventilation Make COVID 19 Worse?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 54: COVID-19 Antibody vs. PCR Testing; When to Relax Social Distancing?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 55: How COVID-19 Infection Attacks The Immune System & Differs From HIV
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 56: What is “Forest Bathing” & Can It Boost Immunity Against Viruses?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 57: Remdesivir Treatment Update and Can Far-UVC Disinfect Public Spaces?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 58: Testing; Causes of Hypoxemia in COVID-19 (V/Q vs Shunt vs Diffusion)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 59: Dr. Seheult’s Daily Regimen (Vitamin D, C, Zinc, Quercetin, NAC)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 60: Hydroxychloroquine Update; NYC Data; How Widespread is COVID-19?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 61: Blood Clots & Strokes in COVID-19; ACE-2 Receptor; Oxidative Stress
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 62: Treatment with Famotidine (Pepcid)?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 63: Is COVID-19 a Disease of the Endothelium (Blood Vessels and Clots)?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 64: Remdesivir COVID-19 Treatment Update
- COVID-19 Clinical Updates & Lessons Learned So Far with Dr. Seheult – Live Webcast Replay
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 65: COVID-19 and Oxidative Stress (Prevention & Risk Factors)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 66: ACE-Inhibitors and ARBs – Hypertension Medications with COVID-19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 67: COVID-19 Blood Clots – Race, Blood Types, & Von Willebrand Factor
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 68: Kawasaki Disease; Minority Groups & COVID-19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 69: “NAC” Supplementation and COVID-19 (N-Acetylcysteine)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 70: Glutathione Deficiency, Oxidative Stress, and COVID 19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 71: New Data on Adding Zinc to Hydroxychloroquine + Azithromycin
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 72: Dentists; Diabetes; Sensitivity of COVID-19 Antibody Tests
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 73: Relapse, Reinfections, & Re-Positives – The Likely Explanation
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 74: Vitamin D & COVID 19; Academic Censorship
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 75: COVID-19 Lung Autopsies – New Data
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 76: Antibody Testing False Positives in COVID-19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 77: Remdesivir Update; COVID-19 in Mexico
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 78: Mask Controversy; Vaccine Update for COVID-19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 79: 5 Vaccines to Keep An Eye On
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 80: Data Questions & Journal Retractions
- COVID-19 Question / Answer with Dr. Seheult – June 7, 2020
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 81: New Data on Hydroxychloroquine Side Effects and Prevention of COVID-19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 82: Racial Disparities with COVID-19 & Vitamin D
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 83: High Fructose, Vitamin D, & Oxidative Stress
- COVID-19 Question & Answer with Dr. Seheult – Live – June 14, 2020
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 84: Key Questions to Ask if in the Hospital for COVID-19 (Part 1 of 2)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 85: Dexamethasone and Key Questions to Ask if in The Hospital (Part 2)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 86: COVID-19 Testing and Cases Increasing but Daily Deaths Decreasing
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 87: More on Dexamethasone; Do COVID-19 antibodies last
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 88: Dexamethasone History & Mortality Benefit Data Released From UK Trial
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 89: Infection Rate Rising in Many States; Dexamethasone Cautions
- COVID-19 Question & Answer with Dr. Seheult – Live – June 28, 2020
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 90: Assess The Quality of COVID-19 Info With A Validated Tool
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 91: Remdesivir Pricing & Disparities in Drug Availability
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 92: COVID-19 & Blood Clots – New Endothelium & Free Radical Research
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 93: Antibodies, Immunity, & Prevalence of COVID-19 – New Data from Spain
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 94: COVID-19 Treatment with Inhaled Steroids; New Pneumonia in Kazakhstan?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 95: Widespread Thrombosis on Autopsy; Prognostic Factors
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 96: RNA Vaccine; Ivermectin; von Willebrand Factor & COVID-19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 97: Vitamin D & COVID-19 Immunity, The Endothelium, & Deficiencies
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 98: Inexpensive Home COVID-19 Tests – A Possible Breakthrough
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 99: “Long Haulers” – Lingering & Long-Term Symptoms After COVID-19
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 100: Interferon Beta COVID-19 Treatment and a Retrospective
- Live Q/A with Dr. Michael Mina: How to Fix COVID-19 Testing August 5, 2020
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 101: T Cell Immunity vs. Antibodies & Prior Exposure to Other Coronaviruses
- COVID-19 Rapid Tests Demo & Q/A with E25Bio Co-Founder Dr. Herrera (At Home Antigen Tests)
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 102: COVID 19 vs. Influenza Symptoms; Sweden; Tocilizumab; Hawaii
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 103: Convalescent Plasma Treatment & the FDA; College Campuses Close
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 104: COVID 19 Reinfection & Immunity
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 105: Current FDA Authorized Treatments; Vaccine Update
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 106: Comorbidities and Excess Deaths; Bradykinin
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 107: Monoclonal Antibodies for COVID-19 Treatment and Prevention?
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 108: High Risk Behaviors; Cases Rise in Europe
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 109: New Data From Europe As COVID-19 Infections Rise
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 110: Trump’s Risk Factors and COVID-19 Prognosis; Interferon
- Coronavirus Pandemic Update 111: Masks; New Vitamin D Data; NAC