COVID-19 Video Updates Continued
We have three new COVID-19 videos available at Medcram.com and on our YouTube page since the last blog update. Read on for information on case numbers around the world, updates on treatment and diagnostic criteria, and best practices for keeping yourself and others safe from infection.
Treatment Updates, Stock Markets, Germany & San Francisco, Pandemic?
In our 26th video update, Dr. Seheult walks through the latest numbers of COVID-19 cases, deaths, and recoveries – compiled by Worldometer – as well as top news stories from around the world. He also revisits RNA vaccines, – also mentioned in our 25th update and video on molecular biology – the first U.S. trial for a coronavirus treatment using Remdesivir, and realistic expectations for a COVID-19 “pandemic.”
Testing accuracy for COVID-19 (CT Scan vs. RT-PCR), California Cases
Video 27 brings information on COVID-19 testing and positivity rates. Daily new cases outside of China hit its highest total, while a new case emerged in Northern California, in which a patient was diagnosed with COVID-19 who had not traveled overseas. Moreover, Dr. Seheult mentions the importance of having ample supplies of masks and personal protective gear in hospitals, so doctors and medical professionals can care for patients with coronavirus and remain on the front lines.
This segues into the topic of how to quickly and accurately test for COVID-19, bringing in this Science Daily news article, which promotes chest CT scans over lab testing as the best diagnosis for the novel coronavirus.
Practical Prevention Strategies, Patient Age vs. Case Fatality Rate
In video update 28, Dr. Seheult looks again at updated case numbers and the amount of new cases in South Korea outnumbering China for the first time.
Dr. Seheult also takes a look at this JAMA article, a summary of cases reported by the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, highlighting the case fatality rate and how it relates to patient age.
Furthermore, Dr. Seheult discusses the need for quick and effective testing and protecting medical professionals from getting COVID-19.. As a community, we must think very carefully about protecting the spread to others if we have symptoms of infection. Such cooperation and group-minded action is vital to the containment of this epidemic.
Dr. Seheult suggests the following tips for keeping yourself and others safe:
- Get a thermometer.
- Don’t hoard masks. Regular surgical masks will not prevent a healthy person from contracting a virus.
- Don’t go to the hospital with mild symptoms. If you are having more severe symptoms, call ahead before going to the hospital (if possible) to find out where to arrive and which additional precautions to take so that you don’t spread the virus at the hospital.
Stay tuned for more COVID-19 updates!
Here’s a recap of the COVID-19 videos we’ve produced so far:
- Coronavirus Outbreak, Transmission, and Pathophysiology
- Coronavirus Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
- Coronavirus Update 3: Spread, Quarantine, Projections, and Vaccine
- How Coronavirus Kills: Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) & Treatment
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 5: Mortality Rate vs SARS / Influenza
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 6: Asymptomatic Transmission & Incubation Period
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 7: Global Health Emergency Declared, Viral Shedding
- Coronavirus Outbreak Update 8: Travel Ban, Spread Outside of China, Quarantine, & MRSA
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 9: Fecal-Oral Transmission, Recovery vs Death Rate
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 10: New Studies, Transmission, Spread from Wuhan, Prevention (nocv 2019)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 11: Antiviral Drugs, Treatment Trials for nCoV (Remdesivir, Chloroquine)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 12: Unsupported Theories, Pneumonia, ACE2 & nCoV
- Garage Talk Podcast — Dr. Roger Seheult and the Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 13: Li Wenliang, nCoV vs Influenza, Dip in Daily Cases, Spread to Canada
- Forbes Article – Medical Experts Employ Social Media To Battle Coronavirus
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 14: Hospital spread of infection, WHO allowed in China, N-95 masks
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 15: Underreporting, Prevention, 24 Day Incubation? (COVID19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 16: Strengthening Your Immune Response to Viral Infections (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 17: Spike in Confirmed Cases, Fighting Infections with Sleep (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 18: Cellphone Tracking, Increase in Hospitalizations, More Sleep Tips
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 19: Treatment and Medication Clinical Trials
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 20: Misinformation Spread, Infection Severity, Cruise Ship, Origins
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 21: Antibodies, Case Fatality, Clinical Recommendations, 2nd Infections?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 22: Spread Without Symptoms, Cruise Quarantine, Asymptomatic Testing
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 23: Infections in Kids & Pregnancy, South Korea, Spillover From Bats
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 24: Infections in Italy, Transmissibility, COVID-19 Symptoms
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 25: Vaccine Developments, Italy’s Response, and Mortality Rate Trends
- How Viruses Work – Molecular Biology Simplified (DNA, RNA, Protein Synthesis)
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 26: Treatment Updates, Stock Markets, Germany & San Francisco, Pandemic?
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 27: Testing accuracy for COVID-19 (CT Scan vs. RT-PCR), California Cases
- Coronavirus Epidemic Update 28: Practical Prevention Strategies, Patient Age vs. Case Fatality Rate